Sunday, July 19, 2015

Selling Yourself

Health practitioners in the country are raising an alarm over a boom in the sale of Kidney among Ghanaians. A high number of Ghanaians are reportedly selling their Kidneys due to poverty and the harsh economic conditions.

According to reports, some sell their kidney between 6000 and 10,000 dollars. The country’s laws allow people to donate their extra kidney to support those in need but the law does not regulate mass sale.

According to Akpah Sylvester, project coordinator of Firm Health Ghana Foundation, the development is very worrying.


“I think that from January to somewhere May alone, I got about six to 10 people calling me. Specifically I had six Ghanaians and four Nigerians calling me...it is actually a problem. Poverty is one of them, somebody feels now the system is too hard so then if this is the case then let me sell off one of my kidneys”. 

No comments: