Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Catholic cant

Pope Benedict XVI said Monday his heart cannot be at peace while people are homeless . Critics highlighted the plight of thousands whom the Angolan government has violently evicted from land owned by the Catholic church.
More than 2,000 families have been evicted since Angolan authorities began returning land to the church that had been seized by the former state, according to Muluka Miti, a researcher for Amnesty International. After a rapprochement with the church, the government of Angolan President Eduardo dos Santos in 1998 gave back lands seized by the state that had become occupied by ordinary Angolans.
The London-based human rights group said people were detained and arrested arbitrarily, and subjected to torture in some cases.

"I hope that the pope's message will be heard by our leaders and by the pope's priests and bishops so that no more people are left homeless as I was," said Damiao, who has received no compensation since authorities forced him from his land."It's very sad. I have lost a way of life. They destroyed our community, they destroyed our homes. Some people have been made beggars. Some people have been maimed... I am a Catholic. I cannot blame my church but I am very angry with the ambassadors of Christ, the priest and the bishop who forced us from our homes,"

No comments: