Thirty-five civilians were killed and 37 were wounded Monday when an IED blast hit a convoy carrying supplies.
Nearly one in 10 people (2 million) in Burkina Faso has been displaced by conflict. Most worryingly, the rate of severe food insecurity has nearly doubled compared to last year, with over 600,000 people in emergency hunger levels during this lean season, warn 28 international aid organisations operating in the country.
“Too often, displacement and hunger come as a one-two punch,” said Hassane Hamadou, Country Director of the Norwegian Refugee Council. “People forced to move have left behind their fields and livestock. Many displaced families report being down to one meal a day in order to allow children to eat twice. Recent waves of displacement only heighten the urgency to act.”
“We now see more and more people forced to flee not from their hometowns, but increasingly from places where they had previously sought refuge,” said Philippe Allard, Director of Humanity and Inclusion in Burkina Faso.
“Host communities across the country have shown remarkable solidarity by taking in tens of thousands of displaced people, opening their homes and sharing their food for months, if not years on end,” said Antoine Sanon, Response Director of World Vision in Burkina Faso. “The efforts of the international community to provide lifesaving assistance should match theirs.”
Eight months into the year, the humanitarian response has only 36 per cent of the funding required
Oxfam Country Director Omer Kabore, explained, "The effects of climate change, mass displacement and the rising global cost of grain products have combined into a perfect storm engulfing over 3.4 million Burkinabè.”
Burkina Faso: Almost 2 million people displaced amid worst food crisis in a decade - Burkina Faso | ReliefWeb
Post a Comment